Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, March 9, 2013

22nd Day of Lent - Sticks and Stones.....


I read a devotional today that really struck a nerve with me.  Heading down a rabbit trail I have to say that sometimes when I am at church and Frank is delivering the message my mind floats away.....that is the devil winning....other days it is like the Trustees have installed heated seats and mine is on high.  This devotion was one of the heated seat kind days for me.   "It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles. (Matthew 15:11)
How many times as a child have you heard the expression..."sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?"  I think every red-blooded American child learned this rhyme at some point. It teaches children a valuable lesson – avoid retaliation when words are used to hurt them.  It was a tough lesson for me.  I don't do well when called names.  I get hurt.  I cry.....and then I strike back.  I did as a child and find myself still doing this from time to time as an adult.  It is not a habit I am terribly proud of....but one, nonetheless, that I do.  I always felt as a child that bones could heal....but once you open your mouth and say something....the damage is done and you cannot take it back.  After reading the devotional I began asking myself....do my words wound?  Do they heal?  do they put someone down?  Do they lift up....and I could answer yes to every question.  the devotional challenged me during Lent to fast from using wounding words., to hold my tongue, to think before speaking, and when I do speak use a soft and gentle voice.  I want people at my funeral to say I spoke words that inspired, healed, and lifted up.  I don't want to be remembered as the stain in the commercial that blocks out all good things trying to be heard. What about you?

No comments: