Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Am I Learning and Growing? - Lent March 21st

I have been blessed to be a high school teacher for twenty-three years. Most of the world thinks of teachers as speakers, as persons saying something. However, before we teach, learning has to take place. I did not just decide to teach one day and stand up in front of a class the next.  I went through years of training and practice.  The same is true about lay speaking.  Before I became a certified lay speaker I had to attend classes and practice.  In both professions it is necessary to be listening to God in order to find out what to say.   Believe me....it does not come easy....or without much prayer, thought, and learning.  God speaks to us...well at least to me, through the Scriptures, through song lyrics, through stories. Reading the Bible does not come easy for me.  Especially when I am reading one of the King James Version....it is hard.  At times reading and understanding the Bible needs clarification. sometimes I just want to through up my hand and yell, "What are you showing me here God!"  I am not getting it!  I often feel the need to look beyond the Bible for understanding.  I am not ashamed to seek outside help.  I have been blessed to serve in a number of roles in the churches I have attended.  I have sung, taught Sunday School, spoken for Women's Groups, taught Bible Studies, been a lay speaker, worked with youth....been a pastor's wife.....you name it....I have stepped up to the plate.  I learn every single time I wear a different hat.  I may be touching your heart.....but believe me I am speaking right to me.  am I stepping on your toes?  I stepped on mine getting there.....God never leaves me unprepared.  He is always pushing me to learn....and grow.....every single day.  What about you?
 

No comments: