Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Am I the Prodigal? The Father? The Brother?

Frank's sermon on Sunday was about the prodigal son....his father.....and his brother.  I sat in my pew and felt as if a heating  element had been installed in my pew....and was giving me quite a hot seat.  All week long I have had thisJohn Denver song running through my head.  I have found myself wondering...which character am I?  Am I the prodigal?  Have I taken all my goods and run off to the world to enjoy what it has to offer....only to return home broken, spent, embarrassed?  Am I like the father?  Am I thrilled that my son has returned to me.....do I welcome him back with open arms, throw him a party, rejoice....or am I like the brother?  Do I find myself standing outside the tent....angry and bitter because I have done everything I was supposed to do yet, here my baby brother is....getting the goods again?  Now, I don't mean literally....What Frank's sermon has me questioning is my role as a Christian in my church.  We have some congregation members who have not been in many years.  I wonder....are they embarrassed because they did something wrong....or got mad...and now don't know how to return?  What can I do?....How can I run out with open arms and welcome them back into the flock?  It is at that time that I find myself praying...."Father, I repent of my sin before you. Thank you for embracing me as a child. I love you. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen."  Just like God....He loves me....and when I mess up....He does not make me crawl back....He opens his giant arms....and welcomes me into his embrace.  I am so blessed. 

 
The prodigal son he'd been away awhile
He was workin' his way back home now
Over many a ragged mile
When he finally crossed the river
And his father saw him near
There was a joyful sound for all the world to hear

Chorus:

I listened to what the Good Book said
And it made good sense to me
Talkin' 'bout reapin' what you're sowin'
People tryin' to be free
Now we got new names and faces
This time around
Gospel changes, Lord
Still goin' down

Jesus--He did not doubt His gift
Though He knew that He had not long to live
He took care of the business,
Of teaching us how to fly
Then He bowed His head
And laid down to die

(Chorus)

Jerusalem I see is standing high
But if you lose your salvation
There'll be no tears left to cry
Now some men worship a golden calf
While others are bought and sold
And if we live like that,
Brother we pay the toll

(Chorus)

No comments: