Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I Am Empty

I have been feeling overwhelmed by life and today I opened my Bible and it fell to this verse.  I knew it was the one I needed because there was an arrow literally pointing at it.  You know the kind...one of those post-it arrows you use to mark a place....well somehow it had gotten stuck in my Bible.....talk about a God thing.  "Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly" (Matthew 11:30, MSG).  Oh yes!  I went to Starbucks last week.  Yes, I was going to have my overpriced coffee in the most talked about red cup. As I opened the door, the smell of Starbucks coffee filled me with glee.   I ordered my coffee to go and was so excited that my warm, happy coffee-friend(in the dreaded red cup) would come along with me for the ride. As I grabbed a cup from the counter and paid, I asked the barista how she was doing.“I’m exhausted!” She lamented with a sigh.  I smiled and responded, "I know the feeling." Here lately I feel that way a lot! I’m the world's worst for packing 48 hours with of stuff into a 24 hour period.  She was tired. Stressed. Drained. Over-committed. Under-rested. Exhausted. Yep. I totally know that feeling.  Have you been there? Ha! Of course you have! It’s so easy for us to fill our lives with busy ness while we carry on with the business of life.   As a wife, teacher, preacher I find myself constantly pulled in a bazillion directions. By the end of the day I am useless to anyone and fall into sleep exhausted.  The other night, after an extremely busy day, Frank was watching football and I was reading.  He asked me, "do you know why firetrucks are red?"  I said, "no."  He went on to give the explanation and when he finished I did not respond, or laugh.  He turned to see why and I was sound asleep sitting in my chair!  Poor Frank.  I know his story was interesting....but exhaustion won this round.   It is comforting to know that I am not the only person to struggle with exhaustion.   All throughout Scripture people got worn-out and lamented about their tired souls. David wrote countless Psalms about being weary, and Elijah was so exhausted at one point that he sank into a deep depression and lost his God-courage. Jesus spoke to a crowd of people in Galilee one day about the only sure-fire solution to our exhaustion problem.
He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV)  I can just hear Jesus saying to me..... “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matthew 11:28-30, MSG).  I don't know about you but that sounds heavenly.  I think it is time for me to step back, reassess, grab my Bible and prayer journal, and read, write, respond, and pray.  Just spend time alone with God and shut the outside world away for a bit...and rest!   I travel between two schools each day and after reading this verse have turned down the radio and began just talking to God.  I am a lot less tired when I get home in the afternoon.  How about you?  Are you exhausted?  Stop, open The Book, read, and relax in His loving arms....even if it is just for a few moments.  Believe me it is worth it!

No comments: