Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Best Part of Waking Up.....Is Not Always Folgers

My scripture for today comes from Isaiah and is one of my favorite verses.  I claimed this verse when I was in college at Auburn University....their mascot is an Eagle/Tiger.  There is nothing more beautiful to me than the sight of an eagle in flight and the first time I saw the Auburn Eagle soar in the stadium my heart stopped.  It was breathtaking and the Isaiah verse became one I would go to in times of trouble. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint (Isaiah 40:29-31, NIV).  I am an early riser....always have been.....always will be.  The first thing I do....in the darkness of the house is walk straight to the coffee pot and push the ON button. I am delighted that I have a Keurig....and my coffee will be ready in less than 3 minutes.   I like a piping-hot, extra dark roast with Caramel Machiatto creamer.  I do not function well without my first cup of coffee. I stand in joyful anticipation of that first sip and I delight in the warmth of the mug in my hands. My mornings are not off to a good start without that delightful cup of coffee!   This morning as I waited for the sound of the end of the brewing cycle I began to thing...the way I feel about that cup of coffee is the way I should feel about spending time with God.  I should wake up each morning bursting at the seams to be with God, to be in His presence, to listen for His still small voice, to savor Him. My daily faith should be brewed fresh daily, it should strengthen me, renew me, and enable me to mount up with wings like eagles, to experience the power of God in our lives, to run and not grow weary, to walk and not faint.  The really exciting thing is that this faith is readily available to all who ask, seek and knock (Matthew 7:7-8)...not just me. How can you experience this power in your life? By getting alone with God, reading the Bible, and listening for His voice each day. “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17, ESV).  Like a morning with no coffee, there are times when I am sluggish in my faith. Times when trusting Him doesn’t come easily. Times when I need a shot of God-caffeine in our day, a spiritual espresso. It is times like these that I stop and ask myself, Karen, What has God brought you through in the past?  I then take time to think on these things, and choose to trust Him to bring me through all I face today and tomorrow. I remember...if God brings you to it....he will bring you through it.  So this morning as I fill up my coffee cup....I take a few moments, pray, and fill up my faith cup too.  I am inviting you all to share a cup of coffee and a cup of faith with me today.  How about it?  Have a blessed day my friends!

No comments: