Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodging in September

Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge...so glad you've joined the fun here today! If you've answered the questions add your link at the end of Joyce's post by clicking here, then hop over and say hi to your neighbors.  Here we go-

1. Last thing you did on the spur of the moment?
Frank and I bought a dual recliner sofa.  A friend bought the couch to the set and we went the next day and bought the other piece to replace our sad little recliners.  We got a great deal because the set had been broken.  They even hauled off the old recliners!  It was a win-win deal for us all.
2. How well informed do you feel about the current Syrian refugee crisis?

I am like Joyce and am borrowing her answer.  I am somewhat well informed, although does any one person understand it completely? A civil war has been going on there for several years now, and this is more of the fallout. There is much discussion and disagreement as to where everyone will live, how they will be integrated into new countries and cultures, how to determine if each and every person is on the up and up, what to do about the children, education, healthcare, food, shelter, and on and on it goes. I've read quite a bit about the challenges the refugees and the world face, and while I know it's a complicated mess, my heart breaks for parents running from their homeland with babies on their backs. 

3. What have you changed your mind about?

Retiring.  I thought I might retire at the end of the 2014-15 school year....but I am still enjoying what I do....so now it is one year at a time.  
4. A medium sized non-poisonous snake found it's way into the pool trap this weekend. If you'd been sitting poolside would you have fished it out? Gone running? Called for help? Pretended not to know? Continued swimming?

No way would I have continued swimming....or stayed in the pool.  I would have gotten someone to help....but as far as me and the snake...I would have given it the pool.

5. September 10th is National TV Dinner Day...what's your idea of a great TV dinner? (Or at least a pretty good one!) 
I loved TV dinners as a kid.  My favorite one always had apple crisp as the dessert.  I have not had one since I was in college.  I thought about getting one the last time Frank was at school and I was home alone....but got a pot pie instead.  We even had some cool TV trays to eat them on.  It was the only time we did not eat at the table....and I loved it!
6. Samuel Johnson is quoted as saying, "Courage is reckoned the greatest of all virtues; because, unless a man has that virtue, he has no security for preserving any other." Would you agree? Where have you seen that played out recently? What's the second greatest virtue?

I think it was when Kat and Brian quit their secure jobs here in the states and moved to Moldova in the middle of the Ukraine and Russia acting out.  As a mother...I was not too fond of this.....but they followed the calling God gave them and that takes a lot of courage.  I agree with Joyce again and believe integrity is the second greatest virtue.  A person is only as good as his integrity.
7. What are three words you have trouble remembering how to spell?

My words are genealogy, endeavor and maintenance.  I struggle with all three.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Today is Homecoming at one of the schools I work for.  Do you remember your homecoming?  They have been dressing up all week for spirit week, they had a parade last night and a community pep rally.  Today we will have a school-wide pep rally the last two periods of the day.  I know we did stuff...but I don't recall it reeking such havoc over the school day.  The costumes during the entire week cause the kids to not be very settled.  Door designs, posters, et al cause students to miss class.  Sigh...another case where athletics overrules academics.

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Hope your enjoying those recliners. As long as your loving the work I agree that you should stay! I do remember homecomings, always loved them. Have a wonderful weekend.

Wendy said...

Enjoy your recliners and taking a year at a time seems a good plan.

Joyce said...

Homecomings and proms have gone a wee bit crazy : ) I'm trying to catch up a bit on last week's HP before next week rolls around! So nice to see you here on Wednesdays!