Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, January 29, 2011

I Want To Sing A Song

Amandas post for Saturday over at  Beth Moore's Living Proof Ministries Blog  was called "Songs in the Car" and it reminded me also of some truly wonderful times in my life when music + car = memories.  I grew up in South Florida and both sets of my grandparents lived in Alabama.  The drive...back before Interstates....took close to fourteen hours.  How do you keep two small children happily occupied in the back seat of a Chevy for that long?  The answer to the bonus round question for today....is SING!  My parents loved to sing.  I could sit and listen to my parents sing for hours.  My mother would start the Song Fest off with something like, "Oh You Can't Get To Heaven In A Rocking Chair" and before the trip was over we would be singing "Bally Hi"  from the South Pacific.  It is no wonder I have a reportoire of thousands of songs.  Just think about it....three minutes per song times 14 hours......do the math...that is a lot of songs...pretty close to 300.  When it was just the three of us, after my brother died, we still sang....there were new show tunes, big band hits, you name it....we sang it.  We would even take the hymnal from the house and sing every song in it.  I thought this was how everyone traveled.  All my mom's family did....they were all musical.  Later in life I discovered that some people actually prefer to travel in silence....what a rude awakening for me....and what a boring trip.  When my children came along....we sang....we have sat in the drive way to finish belting out our favorite line from many Sandi Patti or Larnelle Harris songs.  I was delighted when Kat began to experiment with harmony because that made the music even better......Even now that my nest is empty....Frank and I have sat in our carport....or in a parking lot...so we(mostly I...though he humors me a lot) can hear the last line of something.  I love it that Frank sings too.  It thrills me to hear his rich voice blending with mine.  I have planned trips....where music was a key element....going west....songs had a western flair....or they were about states we were traveling in or through.  Oh yes....music does rock my world.  This past summer I went on a Girls Gone Wild trip to Michigan....Kat and I had loaded our Ipods with much great music....I was driving....and when I drive...I love to bump it up...and get everybody singing....and it was sort of working....until one of the passengers...felt she could not text with the music loud enough to hear.  No problem....I am a team player....and we had just gotten started....so I turned it down low....and bumped the speakers to the front.  It was then requested of me to turn it down even lower....because again it was interfering with texting.  I turned it off....totally.  Excuse me for messing with your fingers with my music.  I was glad when we stopped for gas and I could shake it off....it would have been a long 6 days if I hadn't.  Music returned and things lightened up a bit.  I learned a great deal about sharing space and actually worked on some patience skills....but that is another post.  My fondest memories all revolve around music....so let me ask you....what do some of your fondest memories revolve around?  The kitchen, a fireplace, a repeated trip...would you share it with me?  I'd love to relive a memory with you.  Happy Saturday and be sure to come back tomorrow for my week in pictures.  This has been a fun week.  I can't wait to share them with you.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

There are many songs that have meaning wrapped around them, both good & bad.

Hugs & love,
Mimi