I have been stuck in my house for the past three days and I have a huge case of cabin fever....we got some snow here but mostly ice and I knew a number of my blogging buddies were in the same boat. I was so hoping Joyce From This Side of the Pond was going to stand tough through the weather and bring us the Wednesday Hodgepodge,,,I have not even had mail in two days. I am going to attempt to make it to work today. Wish me luck.1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to mis-use, over-use or just general uselessness and they receive over 1000 nominations. Here are the fourteen words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2011-viral, epic, fail, wow factor, a-ha moment, back story, BFF, man up, refudiate, Mama Grizzlies, The American People, facebook/google when used as verbs, I'm just sayin', and Live life to the fullest. What word or phrase would you like to see banished from our everyday vocabulary in 2011? You can choose one from the 'official list' or you can get creative and come up with your own. I am guilty of doing it....but mine would be facebook/google used as verbs. Come on...they are companies....they are not verbs. Yet...right before I wrote this answer I had an aha moment....looking for a wow factor for class today googled something seems when I multi task I lose all reason...I am thinking Lake Superior University would never have let me in. What do you think?
2. Do you consider opportunity something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?
I have to agree with Linda on this one. Opportunities come from God.
3. Since we're all eating healthy this month, ahem, what's included in your favorite salad? Is there dressing?
Lettuce, tomato, grilled chicken, and a balsamic vinagerette. I am not crazy about salad in the winter.
4. The fourth Monday in January is said to be Blue Monday...aka the most depressing day of the year. The date was calculated using many factors including weather, debt level, time since Christmas, time since we've failed at our new year resolutions, low motivation and feeling a need to take action. Do you get the blues this time of year and if so what is something you do to lift your spirits?
Yes I do get the blues and usually it begins somewhere around the 20th of the month. I am glad I live in the south....although....for this week the snow, ice and gray skies have not helped at all. If I get out of the house and do something....even if it is just in the yard. I can deal with the cold as long as the sun is shining...it doesn't seem as cold. Winter is definitely not my favorite season.
5. Do you wear a watch? Any other everyday jewelry essentials?
I do wear a watch...I teach and need to know when the bell is going to ring. I also wear my engagement & wedding ring. Frank loves to buy jewelry for me....and that is a good thing because I love to wear it. I generally have on two pairs of earrings. I wear a pair of diamond studs and a pair of small jeweled hoops. I also wear an I (heart) U necklace...right now it is in the shop.
6. What is something useful you learned in high school?
What not to do as a teacher, how to cut a class, how to survive intergration, high school was not some of my best years. I love being part of my Youth Choir...New Dawn...but the building known as high school....was somewhere I needed to leave behind and thought I would once I graduated from it. That is why I am living proof that God has a huge sense of humor....because every day for the past 20+ years....I have gone to work....at high school. Don't you know God is laughing himself sick every single day.
7. Do you use an accountant when completing and filing your income tax returns or do you attempt to muddle through all by yourself?
I use Dianne Naler, CPA. I have a small side business, Frank is a part time preacher....and I teach...there are too many variables for me to use Turbo Tax. I also have to deal with my mom's stuff. It is just easier to take it to Dianne and pay the bill.
8. Insert your own random thought here. When I was a kid I loved to play board games. We played them a lot. I am extremely competetive and hated playing Monopoly because I could never win at it. I was a word game kind of girl....loved Scrabble, Scattergories, anything with words involved. Did you have a favorite game as a kid? What was it and why? Drop me a comment and let me know. Happy Wednesday!