Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hodge Podge - Vol 98

Welcome to this week's edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. So glad you joined the party...be sure to add your link at the bottom of Joyces's post and then go see what everyone else is saying.

Here are my answers-

I
1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?  I love dictionaries and own many.  I love hunting for words and just reading words and then using them in everyday conversation.  I still love to open up a hardback dictionary, smell the pages, and look up the word.  I am old school!

2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?    I am not a fan of Halloween....but I don't think Fall Festivals, Christmas and patriot programs should be eliminated.  I think these are things that make wonderful memories for children during their school years and they learn a lot from them.  I know I did.

3. What's your favorite 'dog' movie?   I should say "Ole Yellar"....or "Lassie"...but actually it is "Homeward Bound".  I love pretty much all dog movies...cartoon or real life.  I am a sucker for a sappy ending.

4. When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?  Tuesday in my classroom during my planning period.  It was just too quiet....no sounds in the hall or from the room next door....so I went downstairs to the office....just to hear noise.  When I returned to my room....the halls had come to life.

5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?   I clean as I go.  When I get through with one part I wash everything I used and either use it again or put it away.....Frank on the other hand...makes a mess for me to clean up.  He uses every pot, pan, and bowl available....but I am not going to complain.....he has supper ready for me every night during the week.  He is a great cook....and I look forward to seeing what we are having any given night.

6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous?   I actually thought IDIOT!  I am not adverturous now.  I was when I was younger.  I have actually hang glided from Lookout Mountain in Tennessee...and promised God when I got to the bottom I would never do it again....I am a woman who keeps her word.

7. What's not a word but should be?   Dulcinesque would be the one I would chose.  I am a big fan of don Quixote and believe I am rather quixotic.  With that said...Dulcinea del Tobosa was his lady fair....in his chivalric mind....even though she was a loose woman...so why not call young women who are rather loose...dulcinesque.  Makes sense to me.

8. Insert your own random thought here.  This is National School Lunch week.  What do you remember from your days in the cafeteria when you were younger?  I grew up in South Florida....and we always had fish sticks on Friday.  I looked forward to Fridays because I loved fish sticks.  My least favorite food was succotash.  I hated green lima beans...and once I put them in my milk carton.  The little girl next to me told on me....and my teacher poured the succotash back onto my plate and made me eat it.  Everytime I would gag....she would tell me that she would go get more until I ate it all.  I have HATED succotash and limas every since that day.  Do you have a tale to share...or a lunchroom nightmare.

7 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Pizza was the only dish I wanted to buy at school... yum!

Gotta keep that word to God & keep those feet on the ground :)

That's probably why I like Homward Bound... happy ending!!!

Marti said...

During my school years, I always took a lunch, and they were good. Mom always packed a sandwich, a fresh cookie, and milk from our cows. There was no cafeteria in our little one room country school.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm not crazy about Halloween either but I do like to hand out candy and I think the parties are fun for the kids. I clean as I go too. Way to go on hang gliding. I always took lunch and bought ice cream.

Joyce said...

We walked home for lunch everyday up through grade 6. I rarely bought lunch in Jr High/High School. Sometimes I'd buy ice cream for dessert.

Hang Gliding! That was adventurous!!

Jhona O. said...

During my elementary school years, I loved hamburger days and pizza. Otherwise I tried not to eat it, ha! I am wowed by your hang gliding experience and I know that I would be keeping that promise too:)

Mary said...

I just realized we have the same background! Great minds... :)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a horrible teacher! I guess they thought that was part of their job "back in the day". I didn't buy too many lunches until high school -- then I loved spaghetti and pizza days ---- and "fudgies" too!