Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday Hodge Podge - Vol 96


Here are Joyce's questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. if you want to play along then answer on your own blog and then hop back over to Joyce's blog  to join the party.  I hope to see you there!

1. It's a brand new month...share one thing you're looking forward to in October.  I am looking forward to the miniscule amount of Fall Break we have this year.  Since we could not start until August 20th we lost all but two days of Fall Break and a whole week at Christmas.  I am going to enjoy every little morsel I get and am planning on spending this break in the Smoky Mountains with my dear friends Chuck and Susan.  I hope to get to snap a bear in Cades Cove.
2. Is chivalry dead? Explain. I think for the most part....yes.  Women have become too independent and do not allow men to do the niceties they used to do.  Boys and young men are not raised to be chivalrous anymore.  The ones I see on a daily basis are not even respectful to their moms.  There are still chilvalrous men around....the ones who open doors for you, pull out your chair, , etc....but they are few and far between.
3. On October 2, 1950 the Peanuts comic strip made its debut. Which character is your favorite? Which character is most like you? (Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Shroeder, Snoopy, Woodstock, or Pig Pen) If you need a description click here Charlie Brown was my favorite because he always falls for whatever the others have planned for him.  He is easy going and a good sport when he gets the shaft.
4. What's something you're competitive about?  Board games....and if I can't win....I don't play them....Monopoly is one of those.  I can't ever win....I don't enjoy the game....so I just don't play it.
5. October is National Popcorn Popping Month...are you a fan? How do you like your popcorn?   I love popcorn.  My favorite is old timey...cooked over the stove...with lots of salt and butter.  I can't eat popcorn anymore due to a health issue....and I miss it.  It is no fun to go to the movies and not share a popcorn with Frank.
6. When did you first realize the world is small?   When I made my first plane trip...I think I was around 10.  I was amazed at how small things were.
7. In terms of architecture, what's the most beautiful building you've seen up close and in person?  Westminister Abbey, Anne Hathaways house, Mara Laga (in Palm Beach),  Monticello, Rainbow Row in Charleston, The Medici castle in Florence, South Forks in Dallas.  I love structures...there are many beautiful places I have seen and many more I have yet to see.
8. Insert your own random thought here. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month....this year it has made me very aware.  Franks sister has been diagnosed with it, our bowling partner, Mae Lynn, has just finished up chemo, Sandra...another bowling person....diagnosed....my sister-in-law...died from breast cancer...so let me ask you this....have you had a mammagram lately?  I don't know why all of a sudden more and more people I know are affected by it.....but...I can promise you this....I am making my yearly appointment as soon as I get off of here.  BTW....to show there is humor in everything....Ann, Frank's sister, found a shirt that said...."Yes, they are fake....my real ones tried to kill me."  You have got to love it.  SAVE THE TA-TAS!  Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

April said...

My mom died from breast cancer treatment at the age of 68. I got my first mammogram at 35 and have never missed a year. I'm extremely vigilant about it and will continue to be. I agree...seems like more and more are getting diagnosed these days.

Joyce said...

I'm also very vigilant about mine. I'm always amazed when I hear women my age (educated women at that!) say they've never had one!

Enjoy your weekend in the Smokies-hope you see that bear!

retired not tired said...

I have a mammogram every 2 years and I have to book my appointment for this year. The clinic sent me my reminder although I never forget. The good news is with early detection many can be survivors.

Mary said...

Love the saying on the tshirt!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry about that time you lost, I know that people look forward to those days off. Had to laugh about the board games. Sure I like to win Scrabble against my husband but I really don't care when I lose. We take nuts with us to the show and skip the popcorn. I've gotten us to it. I due for my mammogram soon. I know several people who have had it at bowling and we lost one this year to it.