Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler


Today is Fat Tuesday which marks the last day of the Mardi Gras season.  I have never been to Mardi Gras in either Mobile or New Orleans....as an agoraphobic - fear of over crowded places believe me it is not going to happen.  There are too many people who are not in total control of their actions.  There is a huge argument in the South as to where Mardi Gras actually began.  Some say Mobile, AL was where the first Mardi Gras celebration began and others say it was New Orleans.  Whereever you celebrate it I know you will enjoy good food, numerous parades, crazy people, music, and fabulous masks and costumes.  But....do you know what it really is?   Well.....Mardi Gras" (pron.: /mardigra), "Mardi Gras season", and "Carnival season", in English, refer to events of the Carnival  celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday. The day is sometimes referred to as Shrove Tuesday, from the word shrive, meaning "confess." Related popular practices are associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent.  I love the kick off to Easter - Lent.  I look forward to the imposition of ashes service we participate in.  I have been praying hard about what I am going to give up for the 40 days leading to Easter.  Over the years I have given up sodas, chocolate, french fries, Facebook,....the whole idea is to make a sacrifice and when I have wanted one of these items I spend a little extra time in prayer.  I take Lent very serious.  So....I want to know....have you ever been to Mardi Gras or Carnival...where and what did you think?  Do you practice Lenten beliefs and give up something for the 40 days prior to Easter?  What are some of the things you have sacrificed. I am so excited that Easter is early this year.  I love it when the dogwoods bloom and the daffodils sprout.  Happy Fat Tuesday to you!  I hope you don't overindulge....but eat some King Cake if you get a chance....and maybe some beads will be thrown your way.

No comments: