Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, February 25, 2013

Thoughts of Lent - Day 11

Today is Monday and the 11th day of Lent.  The scripture for today came from Luke 9:30 - 32.  "30 And behold, two men were talking with Him; and they were Moses and Elijah, 31 who, appearing in [a]glory, were speaking of His departure which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. 32 Now Peter and his companions had been overcome with sleep; but when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men standing with Him."  The song In The Garden always makes me cry.
 
My study questions for today were...
1.  Why do you think the disciples were falling asleep while they prayed? In my whole life in church I have always heard that just before Judas' betrayal and nearing the time of His crucifixion, Jesus travelled to the Garden of Gethsemane on the Mount of Olives with His disciples so that He could pray. Before He went to pray, Jesus told the disciples to watch with Him as He prayed. But while Jesus was praying, His disciples fell asleep. Three separate times, Jesus came back during His time of prayer to find the disciples asleep. The following verses from the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke include what Jesus said to them after He found them asleep:  Luke 22:46 "And said unto them, 'Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.'" Matthew 26:40-41 "And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, 'What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.'"  Mark 14:37-38 "And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, 'Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.'"  Mark 14:41-42 "And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, 'Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise up, let us go; lo, he that betrayeth me is at hand.'"  Matthew 26:45-46 "Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, 'Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.'"  This part of the story of Easter breaks my heart....but then...I have sat with people in the hospital....so they would not be alone...and found myself either nodding off or waking up suddenly.  Jesus’
2.  What do you think it would look like to see Jesus' glory?  Amazing is all that I can think of.   I have to say when I think of glory....I think of the song I Can Only Imagine.

My prayer for today is this:
"Jesus, sometimes we are like the disciples. We forget You are with us. We forget to pray. We fall asleep. Wake us up when we forget You and remind us who You really are, that You are God." Amen and Amen.

No comments: