Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hodge Podge - Vol 67

It has been a crazy week and I am so tired and the week is only half over.  Today I am attending an ESL (English as a Second Language) workshop at our Central Office.  I knew I would not have time to play with my computer today....or tomorrow through Saturday either.  It is going to be all I can do to take pictures for the week.  Anyways, here are Joyce’s  questions to this week's Hodgepodge...come on over to her blog and link answers and see what the neighbors are saying-
1. February 22nd is National Be Humble Day...what makes you proud? What keeps you humble?  My family makes me proud.  My Lord keeps me humble.  But you know...I love the song...."Oh Lord It's Hard to Be Humble When You are Perfect in Everyway.  Glad that is not my theme song.
2. Where is the catch-all (aka dumping ground) in your house?  For me it is on the cabinet right inside the door…but I also take it out from there the next morning.  For Frank it is the little kitchen table.  He keeps it pretty piled up.
3. Do you make it a point to visit State/National Parks when you travel or even in your own hometown? What's your favorite?  I have a National Park Passport.  Is that gay or what?  Frank and I got his on our honeymoon.  I love parks.  My favorite is in the Smokey Mtns and called Cades Cove.  It is my favorite place in the world.
4. How would you define honor?  The act of showing someone or something high respect.
5. Angel's food or Devil's food-which cake do you prefer?  To be honest….neither.  I really prefer pie.
6. What's the most recent road trip you've taken? Where did you go and how many hours did you spend in the car? Do you like to zoom to your destination without stopping or leisurely wind your way there with stops along the way? What is your car snack of choice?  Last car trip was to the Smokey Mtns.  We were in the road for about 6 hours.  We do both.  If there is something Frank and I want to see….we stop…if not…we go.  I love leisure winding roads…and we took the Dragon’s Tale on our trip to the mountains and wandered aimlessly on the way up.  It was the perfect day.  Snack of choice is pretzels.
7. Recent headlines told how a preschool child in NC had their packed lunch from home taken away and a school lunch substituted by a school inspector who deemed the homemade lunch unhealthy. Reportedly the parent was then billed for the school lunch (chicken nugget meal) although an update to the story says the parent was not billed. The inspector was conducting a routine inspection of the classroom-he/she was not there solely to peek in the lunchboxes. The packed lunch contained a turkey and cheese sandwich, an apple juice box, a bag of chips, and a banana. You can read the story here. Your thoughts?  Oh come on!  I had to keep a diet chart when I was in school.  I actually failed mine because I had cold pizza for breakfast.  My mom went and challenged the teacher….I ended up with an A because I ate all the meals I was supposed to.  I mean come on…what is the difference between pancakes….and cake?  What is in them….flour, eggs, sugar….I rest my case.
8. Insert your own random thought here.  Do you know what a mondegreen is?  Have you ever used one?  I would almost bet you have.   A mondegreen is the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning. It most commonly is applied to a line in a poem or a lyric in a song. My favorite example are the lyrics to the Jimi Hendrix song, "Purple Haze."  Most people hear  'scuse me while I kiss this guy."  which is the mondegreen.  The real lyrics are "'scuse me while I kiss the sky."  And then there is the Creedence song lyrics, "there's a bathroom on the right" ("there's a bad moon on the risin'".  Mondegreens are great fun.

9 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

Oh I love mondegreens!Though I had never known what you call them until today. Thanks for teaching me something new.

As for one of my favorite mondegreens. My friend and I were driving down the road one day when a song came on, after it was done she turned to me and said. I can never understand why they have "eyeballs stuck on a plate" I had to work hard to keep from bursting out laughing since the lyrics were "like an i-pod stuck on replay."

Robin Lambright said...

That story on the news was no surprise to me. After following Jamie Oliver and his effort to improve school lunched her in the United States it is amazing at the level of ignorance and government ridiculousness that is involved. I saw a school official admonish him because they did not thing that the lunch he offered on one show had enough vegetables. Her solution was to make a substitution of french fries as a vegetable. Our tax dollars at work....very upsetting!

Joyce said...

We love Cades Cove too...was just there on Saturday. It was a gorgeous day and a holiday weekend so lots of cars but still so so pretty!

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Your random thought taught me something! Never heard of that before!

Katie2SS said...

lol...when I was in school, I was told pizza was good for you because of how many food groups it contains.

Marti said...

I also have a National Park Passport and it has paid for itself many times over. I love going to our parks. I have never been to the Smokey Mtns, but I think I must put it on my list. Visiting from Wed HP. Drop by for a visit. You lead an interesting life.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

My husband is pretty neat and doesn't have a drop pile. I have a few! My husband doesn't care to stop even when we have all day to get to our destination! Cold pizza is my favorite.

Sweet Tea said...

Mondegreens? I had no idea, but I know exactly what you're talking about. "Forever in Blue Jeans" - I thought it said "Reverend Blue Jeans". LOL

Mary said...

I never knew they were called mondegreens! I feel very blessed to live so near Cades Cove!