Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thyroid Cancer Warning

Are you aware that thyroid cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers among women?  I wasn't....but  on  Wednesday I happened to watch Dr. Oz.  I never do that but, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women, thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program and  he mentioned  that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms(something I have done at least once a year).  He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around  your neck. Many dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms.  The program upset me enough that I went online and researched tyroid cancer and if you are interested click here to go to a site and learn all about it.Then, this morning I checked my emails and I had received an email from a friend and she said that by  coincidence, she had her yearly mammogram yesterday. She felt a little    silly, but she asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer. She asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know. You  have to ask for it." Well, if she hadn't seen the show,  how would she have known to ask?   I didn't know a thyroid guard even existed until yesterday myself.  This is something we  need to pass on to our daughters, nieces, mothers and all our female friends!! I thought it was important enough to let my blogger buddies know and hopefully you will tell the women in your life. 

6 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

I will absolutely tell every woman I know about the guard! My dentist is always good about bringing the apron up around the neck but I NEVER knew a guard existed for a mammogram. I just had one a week ago too. No mention of anything at all. Thank you for the info... I will certainly spread it. My friend Cindy had a cancerous thyroid and had to have it removed. Then she had to go through the grooling years of trying to get the hormone therapy right for her body.

Thanks for sharing a life altering bit of info! Big hugs, Sherry

Tracy said...

Thanks for the info.
Tracy :)

Sweet Tea said...

I will be a 31 year Thyroid Cancer Survivor next Wed., Feb 15. A thyroid exam should be part of every woman's yearly exam. Mine was actually found by my gynocologist during a routine exam. I personally know several women who are also Thyroid Cancer Survivors. It is one of the most treatable types of cancer, but early detection is again key.
I wish I had seen the Dr. Oz program.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I heard about this awhile ago. Isn't it amazing that they actually have a guard for you neck yet they never use it.

Robin Lambright said...

good to know.....

Edie Marie's Attic said...

You made 2 great recipes! My niece, Jennie, makes the Tortilla Soup for the puppet team often and they love it. I have to stop myself from eating the whole grape salad... it's
almost addictive!