Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, February 13, 2012

Highland Crossings

About the Book:  An heirloom brooch unites the lives and loves of four women in historic North Carolina. Seona flees Scotland with the brooch in tow hoping to find peace before her past is revealed. Fiona tries to recover the heirloom but ends up on the whipping block—with her rescuer a man she’s not sure she can trust. Seren sells the brooch but soon regrets giving up something so precious for what could be a hopeless dream. Brynna seeks to reclaim the stolen brooch but risks losing something even more valuable in the process. Will God’s path become clear in a new world? 

My Thoughts:  All four of the novellas were wonderful.  I loved traveling with the heirloom brooch down amongst several generations.  I loved the the Gaelic flair and the Scottish and Early American charm of each story.
In the novella Healer of My Heart by Pamela Griffin - we meet Seona, accused of being a thief.  Our first heroine is a medical healer and vows to protect a priceless family heirloom and she stowaway about the "Thistle" enroute to America.  It is there that she encounters Colin Campbell. When they reach the colonies, Colin and Evan's cousin Isabel invites Seona to stay with them and Isabel quickly feels a bonding with her. Seona who is on run for her life feels she cannot trust anyone. But can she trust Colin with her life and her heart?  You be the judge of that.
The second novella Printed on My Heart by Laurie Alice Eakes  is about Fiona, who has been unable to secure her keep. She finds herself an indentured servent to kindhearted town printer and his family.  Owain and his sister, Bronwen offer Fiona a job to save her from further punishment. Fiona is in search of the brooch and her sister Murday.  Will God help her find the brooch and her sister?
My favorite of the four novellas, if I had to chose one would be Sugarplum Hearts by Gina Welborn.  Our heroine here is  Seren Cardew, who is trying to sell her candies and confections. Finley Sinclair, a broker, is looking for clients and hoping for a position with Overton Shippers.  Seren Cardew, creator of luscious candies and confectionaries is searching for a way to market them. Finley offers her a business proposal that will benefit the both of them. When someone sabotages her wares they are left with little clues. In wake of the discovery the community comes together before. But what is lost can it be found again?
The last book is Hearts Inheritance by Jennifer Hudson Taylor.  This novella introduces us to Bynna Sinclair lover, of historical things and a lady who does not take to change lightly. Niall Cameron has come upon an inheritance left to him by his uncle, and is insistant upon change for the better. The two always seem to share a difference of opinion. Sometimes misunderstandings bring about bitterness. Even in the most desparate of lives the Lord can bring repair and healing to any situation of the heart.
Each author added her own personal touch to four well woven progressive story lines. These can be read in one sitting or broken up into more. I personally did not want to put the book down.   I found the overall message inspiring and would recommend this book to others
Disclaimer:  I received this book as part of a blogger review program.  The opinions are 100% my own and I was not paid to read or review this book.  I would love to than Barbour Publishing and Netgalley for allowing me to do this.

No comments: