Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm Already Taken

When you were a child was there someone in your life you swore you were going to grow up and marry?  There was in mine.  My parents had some dear friends, Jimmy and Judy and he looked just like Jim Reeves(country balladeer) to me.  I loved this man.  He would play guitar and sing to me....and let me sing with him and when I was 7 I swore my love to Jimmy and told him that when I grew up I was going to marry him.  He hugged me and told me that he was already taken.  He and Judy had been married nearly 20 years at that time.  By the time I was dating age I had lost track of Jimmy and his wife Judy had passed away.  I never even gave my pledge a second thought.  I dated boys near my age and married when I was nearly 21.  At the age of 40 I found out that Jimmy lived in Murphy, NC and the knowledge of his whereabouts brought back some really tender memories....but my life was so busy at the time that I just could not manage the 8 hour drive to see him again.  My parents did.  They drove to Murphy on a clear Saturday and had a wonderful time reliving old memories with a man I adored as a child. I got his address when they returned and wrote him a letter telling him about my life.  I never heard back from him.   He died shortly after that.  On Saturday, when Frank and I were enroute to Montgomery for my class I had turned the radio to the Country station and the first song to come on was one called, "I'm Already Taken" by Steve Warniner  There on the interstate between Auburn and Montgomery I felt my heart tighten as the sweet memory of Jimmy came flooding from out of nowhere.  I cried quietly to myself where I was sitting and when the song was over and my tears had dried I told Frank about this man.  My first and only childhood crush.  It was a sweet memory.  Have you ever experienced a time when you felt something special for someone like this?  I would love to hear your story.

5 comments:

Rachelle LeCount said...

What a sweet story.

I too had a big crush on a grown man, who was married even at the time. I was fascinated with him because he wore a red bandana around his head and rode a motorcycle. Everybody called him Rebel. I have no idea what his real name was.

Silly child that I was I even asked him if he'd marry me, and that's pretty much what he said... "I'm already taken" Though I can't remember exactly how he phrased it.

Bittersweet.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a sweet memory you shared.

Abi's Blog said...

Enjoyed your story...My Henry (5) says he will marry his brand new baby sister.:)
Blessings,
Ava

Angie said...

When I was in first grade I had a crush on my homeroom teacher's eighth grade son, Tom. He would come to our room during his recess and grade papers for his mom. I remember trying to do my best on all my work so that Tom would think I was a good student. He was swoon worthy to my little 1st grade heart. Can you imagine what he would have thought if he had known. :)

Mary said...

Awww; what a sweet story. I didn't have anybody like that in my life.

LOVE your countdowns...I really should get mine up! :)