Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wednesday Hodge Podge - A Day Late and Dollar Short


Welcome to this week's edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge...everyone is welcome to play along by answering the questions on your own blog, then hopping back to Joyce's blog to add your link to the list. I do hope you'll take just a minute to read Joyce's random thought today (#8) and visit the website she has posted there.

Here we go~

1. When the children of today grow up, what do you think they'll say about this period in time? What do you most hope they remember?   It really frightens me to think what they will remember.  It frightens me even more as a high school teacher to think of what they will be. I imagine them still wearing their pants low and caps sideways.
They will remember certain acts of terrorism that have taken place.  The sad thing is most of them will have been after 9/11.  They were only small children then.  I know the older I get the less I remember about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassination of JFK.  I was 8.  I do hope that more and more of them find their way to God.

2. National Teacher's Day is celebrated in the US of A on the first Tuesday in May, this year May 7th...share how a particular teacher positively influenced you.  I loved my first, third, and fifth grade teachers...They loved me and I knew it.  They were there for me during some of the worst moments in my life and I am what I am today partly because of their influences.  Thaddeus Trotsky, my high school English teacher opened my mind up to English and I teach English because of Watson B. Duncan III, my English teach in college.  I adored this man.  He taught me HOW to teach. 

3. What's a dish your mama made, that if set in front of you today would whisk you right back to childhood?  Banana Pudding would be it.  She made the best in the world.  It was best right out of the oven and always had perfects tears that formed on the merengue.  My Uncle Cecil always seemed to know when she made it and would manage to be in our end of town just as it was coming out of the oven.

4. Mother May I was a game we played when I was growing up...no pieces, parts, or plugs required. What games from childhood do you remember loving that were also pieces, parts, and plug free?
Dodgeball, softball, jump rope and battle (we grew Florida cherries and would bomb each other with them.)
5. Besides your own mother, tell us about a woman who influenced you as a child.
My godmother Francis and my mom's best friend, Valerie Geiger.  I felt unconditional love with both of these women.  My mom's other friend, Elizabeth was a third....she always called me Karen pie.  She made me feel more like an equal.  An older influence was Mrs. Dobson "Dobby" who lived down the street.  She was in her 80's and was amazing.  Especially when she went to visit her dear friends (in their 70's) who where in the nursing home.  I have never forgotten any of them.

6. Mamma Mia! What's the best play or musical you've ever seen?  Phantom of the Opera is my all time fave, Mamma Mia is definitely one of the most fun, especially at the end with the audience up on their feet singing along to the Abba songs. Go ahead and say you're not an Abba fan...if you see Mamma Mia I promise you'll be singing along too.   I love musicals....so South Pacific would rank up there too....Music Man, Oklahoma...My all time favorite was my daughter's senior play production of Grease!  It was amazing.  She was Cha-Cha.  Loved it.

7. What are three smells that make you feel nostalgic?
after/before rain, vanilla (banana pudding), vred wine inegar and olive oil.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is Mother's Day Sunday.  What is a Mom memory you have that you will share?   My mom loved the beach.  She did not like to buy chemical tanners.  She made her own concoction of red wine vinegar and olive oil.  She always had the most beautiful tan.  I could smell it for hours.  Even today when I order oil and vinegar and Subway....I can close my eyes and smell the beach.

No comments: